Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)
75% of countries worldwide are members of the PCT, coverage and information on the PCT can be viewed here. (Source: WIPO).
Please contact us for information on this regional filing arrangement.
Latest News: Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia has officially become the 147th Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Contracting State and all PCT applications filed on or after 3 August 2013 will automatically designate this state.
As a result, from 3 August 2013 it will no longer be necessary to file a Saudi Arabia application at 12 months from the earliest priority date if a PCT application is filed. A national phase application will still have to be filed in Saudi Arabia to obtain patent protection in this territory, but only at the end of the international phase of PCT.
Saudi Arabia: General Information
- Area: Approximately 2,149,690km²
- Population: 27 million
- Capital: Riyadh
- Currency: Saudi Riyal
- GDP: $ 740 billion
- Domain name extension: .sa
- Languages: Arabic (official language)
- Exports: Petroleum and petroleum products (90%)
- Imports: Machinery and equipment; foodstuffs; chemicals; motor vehicles; textiles
- Patents: Chemical and engineering inventions make up 51% of patent applications filed (in the last decade)
- Total filings: Increased by 126% during 2007-2011
For more information on Saudi Arabia, IP and filing in this country, please contact us.