Trade Mark Information
Latest News: Comoro Islands join OAPI
OAPI announced that the Comoro Islands ratified the Bangui Agreement on 25 March 2013 and became a full member of OAPI from 25 May 2013. This brings the total number of OAPI member states to 17.
Up until now, no IP legislation had been passed in the Comoros. Those looking to protect their rights could only do so by publishing a Cautionary Notice.
We wish to bring the following to your attention:
- NEW TRADE MARK APPLICATIONS: All new trade mark applications filed in OAPI after the effective date of 25 May 2013, shall cover the Comoros Islands
- REGISTERED TRADE MARKS: All trade marks due for renewal in OAPI and which renewal date falls after 25 May 2013 shall automatically be renewed to cover the Comoros Islands. Proprietors of registered trade marks filed before 25 May 2013, who wish to extend their rights prior to the renewal date need to file applications for the extension of their rights to cover the Comoros Islands.
- DEADLINE FOR EXTENSION: The deadline to apply for the extension of rights of a registered trade mark to Comoros Islands is twenty (20) months from the beginning of the effective date of 25 May 2013. Therefore proprietors’ can file for the extensions before 25 January 2015.
If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us
International and Regional Arrangements:
- OAPI: Yes
- Madrid Agreement: No
- Paris Union: Yes
- Area: Approximately 1900 km2: Grand Comoro (1146 km2), Anjouan (424 km2), Mohéli (290 km2) (Mayotte, not included – 375 km2)
- Population: 0.8 million
- Capital: Moroni (on Grand Comore)
- Currency: Comorian Franc
- GDP: $ 789.4 million (2010)
- Domain name extension: .km
- Languages: French, Arabic (official languages), Comorian
- Exports: Cloves; perfume oil; copra; ylang-ylang trees and products
- Imports: Rice and other foodstuffs; cement; petroleum products; consumer goods; transport equipment
International / Regional Conventions:
- Berne Convention
- Paris Convention
- Patent Cooperation Treaty
- WIPO Convention
Please contact us for more information on this country.